Re: Getting LNK/PIF changes to stick

Robert is a real treasure. But I guess we all know that.
QUIT XyWrite, set Properties in the shortcut, relaunch XyWrite. When you
change properties while Xy is running, it often affects only the current
session, then reverts on subsequent launches.
Even though one of the options says: "Save properties for future windows
with same title"? Or does that apply to *some* of the things in that dialog
box, excluding the cursor size, for example? Or is the DF IT setting in Xy
overriding the dialog setting?
The interaction of the Colors set via that dialog box and set in Xy is very
annoying, but eventually things get straightened out.
What, I wonder, is the meaning of the meaning of the settings in "Defaults"
(instead of "Properties")?
> Actually, I guess what I should find is an overall explanation of how Xy
> works on NT-systems. I know that CMD.EXE is the substitute for DOS.

NTVDM.EXE is the DOS subsystem. CMD.EXE is the default *command processor*

AHA. Thank you for the clarification.
(but can use COMMAND.COM too, and if you just say "EDITOR.EXE" in the shortcut,
the system will automatically choose COMMAND.COM as your command processor);
CMD isn't "DOS itself" -- NTVDM is.

> But I
> don't understand what's going on with the Properties for the .PIF and .LNK
> (and which is which).

PIFs are used by COMMAND.COM, LNKs by CMD.EXE. You can *force* Editor to use
CMD.EXE, if you want. However, you have more control over things that matter
to XyWrite, such as memory settings, if you stick with COMMAND.COM

CMD is not as good for Xy as COMMAND.COM?! Who knew? Thanks, again.
Hmmm. Under "Compatibility" I've been selecting Win95 compatibility. Maybe that has been forcing COMMAND.COM all along, despite my shortcut being to CMD?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx