Re: XyWin on XP

Paul

You are absolutely right - but not possessing the entire story. I think
something happens when XP Service Pack 2 augments the operating system.
I installed XP SP1 from a manufacturer's source disc on a MacBook Pro
running OS X with VMWare. XyWin ran flawlessly and faster, in fact, than
I'd ever seen it execute. As soon as the auto-update installed SP2
however, XyWin no longer functioned. I am whomping about the weeds here
in the office trying to find my old WIN2K Professional as I know XyWin
will run just fine under that OS.

By the way, if you are thinking of running a Mac with VMWare to mount
XP, go right ahead. It has really been refined to host XP specifically.
Chugs along without a burp. The fun part is running a number of OSes
simultaneously, like Solaris, resulting in a hardy and stable
configuration I call The Solaritosh.

Peter

Paul Ambos wrote:
For several years now Priscilla Godfrey had been trying to track down why XyWin aborts itself or locks up under Windows XP on some machines but not others. In the post copied below she speculates that it may be a BIOS or chipset issue, but evidently her requests for further data have gone for the most part unanswered. A week and a half ago my office computer crashed and the IT guy recommended an operating system reinstall due to bad sectors on the C drive, and since my registry backup was not as current as other files, I reinstalled software rather than restoring the registry. Lo and behold, XyWin, which never worked before on this machine, now does. So the issue is not BIOS or chipsets, but probably some other driver that is interfering with XyWin. In short, it is clearly strictly a software issue. If XyWin fails as I add other software in the future, I should be able to pin down the problem and will report. Regards, Paul Ambos pambos@xxxxxxxx * Subject: Re: XyWin on XP * From: "Patricia M. Godfrey" * Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:39:49 -0500 RJW823@xxxxxxxx wrote:
My desktop has same processor and RAM. XyWin runs fine. Bob White
We've apparently eliminated CPU and RAM, or at least gross amount of RAM. So the next things to look at are BIOS and chipsets. Unfortunately, they're harder to find out, esp. in Name Brand systems. The BIOS brand and version usually flashes on the screen at the PC boots, but with modern screamingly fast systems (before they start trying to load Redmond Rubbish), that can fly by too fast to be seen. If you cannot catch the name and version, look for the key that you're supposed to hit to enter the BIOS (you may well need it sometime, so you should know it anyway), and hit it. DON'T do anything once you're in it, just look and see; it should say, e.g., AMI BIOS version xx.xxx. Write it down, then hit escape and accept "Exit without saving?" The chipset maker and version should be listed in the docs that came with the machine. It also probably appears in Control Panel's Device Manager: things like the IDE controller, USB controller, IRQ steering will specify whom they're by. I will check next time I'm in the office and see what the XP box has. If we can amass enough data, we may be able to discern a pattern. (If two people have the exact same hardware, and one can run XyWin and one cannot, then we know that the problem is in some setting, either in XP or XyWin. If no one with Brand X BIOS or Chipset can run it, and everyone with Brand Y can, we know it's a hardware issue.) Patricia M. Godfrey
begin:vcard fn:Peter Cassidy - Director of Research n:Cassidy;Peter org:TriArche Research Group;Cambridge Research Directorate adr:Suites 200-202;;38 Rice Street;Cambridge;MA;02140;USA email;internet:pcassidy@xxxxxxxx title:Director of Research x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:http://www.triarche.com version:2.1 end:vcard