Re: Xy4Win yes or no

>That's part of my concern; I get the sense that Xy is on its
last legs. >No advertising, it's not available in software
stores, and I've never >received an upgrade notice, or an offer
to purchase Xy/Win.

>I'd stick it out if I believed TTG is serious about maintaining
and >upgrading Xy. But I have my doubts.

  Well, look at it this way -- what else do they have going?
They don't have Notabene anymore -- and advertising isn't really
all that neccesary these days in the computer market -- look at
all the small programmers who write shareware and make a living.
Procomm, for instance, was a shareware company who made enough
(and they figured that only 10% of the people using it actually
paid for it) off of the shareware version to get into the regular
commercial market. Now they advertise, of course. Quite frankly,
I don't know how anyone can stand to use WP or MS-Word. I have to
use them occasionly, in work situations, and although I can get
around in them, and even well enough to tutor students in them,
the comparison is odious. If you don't know XY, of course, you
can use them and not know what you are missing. However, to make
the change now --- not me. It's like having to deal with windoze
when you know OS/2 and Linux, even more so. Spare me, please!
  On the other hand, word processing is going to change so much,
and so rapidly, in the next few years, that XY might be a moot
issue.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx