Re: printer error messages

Well. first of all, logic would suggest that assigning the same
printer to all those ports is really going to scramble things.
But someone on this list said that it wouldn't (unless I misread it). It's
moot, though, because I only started adding the same printer to different
LPTs late in the debugging game.
Does Lita have a real lpt port? 25-pin D shell connector on back?

No.
If it's a new laptop, I very much doubt it. So issue
net use lpt2 /DELETE
and then
net use lpt3 /DELETE
to get rid of them.

Check that Windows can print to canonkrumpet. Then try printing
from edit.com.

No need to try that again, thanks. It's not the issue.
Yet I can print from Windows (e.g., Notepad) and I can see Krumpet's files with Xy by entering:
K:
In fact, in DOS, I can log on to K: and see its files.

And so can any cracker who gets into your system. W2K has
conniption fits when I share a whole drive, even if there's
nothing but data on it. You should NEVER, ever, have C:\ shared.
That's one reason Robert and I are so vehement about
partitioning. (Lot's of others, too. Reasons, and people who
swear by partitioning.)

Warning noted.
 But at the K:
prompt in DOS, the following produces no result (except giving me another K: prompt):
K:>Type c:\test.txt > LPT1

That is NOT the way to print to a port from DOS.

You're awfully vehement in your wrongness. I like that in a woman.
The command is

copy d:\path\filename.ext lpt1

"copy," not "type" (which is used for displaying files on
screen),
except when it's routed to another, what's it called, console? such as to
LPTn--which, incidentally, is why DOS didn't object to my command.
 and no > before lpt1. (You use that "arrow" to route one
command's output to a file; e.g.,
dir e:\somedir\*.* /s>dirlist.txt
Note that the file test.txt is displayed when I do:
K:>Type c:\test.txt

Of course. That's what Type does.
Type reads a file from the disk and sends it to the indicated item--with
the screen being the default. In the old CP/M days, there used to be four
such items: CON:, PRN:, COM:, and LST: (if memory serves). CP/M also had
Type, and you could Type to any of the above (as well as PIP to them).
MS-DOS took over the Type command from CP/M (which in turn took it over
from mainframes and . . . was it PLP?)

Try doing:
type test.txt > test2.txt

It works.