Re: Xy4 and cold feet

On 3/15/2011 12:52 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:
To Xy3 holdouts: using Xy4 does not mean ceasing to use Xy3. Get Xy4, and put it in a separate directory. Then you can run both side by side. If something is puzzling to you in Xy4, just alt-Tab over to the Xy3 window. Your safety blanket is always there.
I took this approach with learning NotaBene (NB is just XyWrite for
Windows). I normally have both Xy4 and NB open at the same time. I
often use Xy4 to edit NB files--e.g., I use Xy4 to edit NB's startup,
kbd, and settings.dfl files.
Another thing I've taken to doing is having two separate Xy4 programs
launched at once. (You have to be somewhat careful here, though, since
you don't want to be making changes on the same file in the two
different launches.)
So . . . have it your way AND the other way. And then a third way--all
at once.

P.S. having multiple monitors aids this.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx
I keep Xy3 going for one reason only, and that's because many years ago I did a neat program for it designed to extract footnotes from a manuscript so you could put them in a separate file (as demanded by publishers). Never could figure out how to do that with Xy4, which I otherwise greatly prefer. NB of course does footnote extracting neatly and easily. And I have a similar extraction sequence I worked out and wrote down for MS Word -- it works for Word 95, haven't tried it on anything newer.
The only real problem I've had in moving back and forth between Xy4 and
NB is that foreign accents, umlauts, and such do NOT transfer themselves
between these programs, and have to be edited. I also find Xy4
preferable to NB for Search and Replace; sometimes for spelling; and
sometimes for reformatting a whole document when necessary (e.g., adding
or removing paragraph indentations or something of the sort). On the
other hand, X4 has nothing like Orbis in NB, which allows you to index
whole batches of files and do word searches in those files very, very
quickly. Otherwise just fine.

Nicholas Clifford
PS At the risk of going over ground much gone over before, can anyone point me to an easy way to print DOS (like Xy4) through a USB connection? Sorry for the repetition.