Re: eof marker

Hi Myron,

On Nov 16, 2005, at 3:34 AM, Myron Gochnauer wrote:
I'm using a Mac most of the time now, so XyWrite is run under VirtualPC + Win2K.
Except for the problem you're having, I hope that has been working ok
for you.
This occurred even with files that I had never opened on a Mac, but
had been copied and backed up on the Mac. The problem seems to be
a Mac OS X issue, although I haven't seen anyone else mention it.
Do you know any more about what this Mac OS X issue is? AFAIK, i
haven't had any problems with files back and forth between OS X and VPC.
Is there a readily available DOS or Unix utility that will strip
the eof marker?

Do you mean the DOS EOF marker?
I could, of course, open and resave every XyWrite document using
TextEdit (Mac standard quickie editor), but I'd like something I
could use in a batch file (or unix equivalent).
This might cause another problem, if you plan to save the file in
Textedit then open that in Xywrite. From what i understand, and there
are more knowledgeable people here on this list so please correct me
if i am wrong, but the OS X file system uses a different type of line
ending than DOS. (The OS X system being Unix based is also different
than the original Mac OS 9 and earlier system.) To me, saving a file
in the default textedit settings would put Unix line ending in your
text file. This may or may not cause a problem when you open the file
in Xywrite. I use either BBedit lite to change the files' line ending
to be DOS compatible. I also use a unix utility i compiled for OS X,
to convert the line ending for a bunch of files at once, called FLIP.
This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but i know that this
could be an issue.
As for deleting the EOF marker, I don't of the top of my head know of
a utility, but I'm sure one could be written or does already exist on
the Unix side.

Sorry i couldn't have been more help!

Russ

Myron Gochnauer
BA, MA, PhD, LLB, LLM, Keeper of the Dogs
goch@xxxxxxxx