eof marker

I'm using a Mac most of the time now, so XyWrite is run under
VirtualPC + Win2K.
Recently I lost quite a few XyWrite files to some kind of corruption.
If the file was very short (a few lines), it would be entirely
corrupted, reading as a series of ^ characters. If the files were
longer, only the last few lines would be overwritten.
This occurred even with files that I had never opened on a Mac, but
had been copied and backed up on the Mac. The problem seems to be a
Mac OS X issue, although I haven't seen anyone else mention it.
Is there a readily available DOS or Unix utility that will strip the
eof marker? Does Xy really need it? Xy seems to read text files from
all kinds of sources just fine even without the marker.
I could, of course, open and resave every XyWrite document using
TextEdit (Mac standard quickie editor), but I'd like something I
could use in a batch file (or unix equivalent).

Myron Gochnauer
BA, MA, PhD, LLB, LLM, Keeper of the Dogs
goch@xxxxxxxx