Re: Version confusion.

At 03:27 AM 12/21/00 +1100, Michael Edwards wrote:
>   To answer your questions: I learned computers on DOS about 11 years ago,
>and got used to using DOS programs. I don't seem to change to new things
>easily,

I think we notice that. You seem to have been dithering about to buy or not
to buy since last summer, or when was it?

>especially those based on a totally different underlying philosophy
>(such as Windows), and don't feel inclined to change my software every few
years
>just because something new comes out and everyone else changes to it.

XYwrite and Notabene are refreshingly different from this idiotic Microsoft
idea of changing formats every season. You can edit NotaBene files with
version 1 of XYwrite and vice versa.

>   Because of these shortcomings, I want to change to a new word-processing
>program - but because of all the trouble in converting file formats (I have
>hundreds of MultiMate files, and I only want to convert them once), I want to

I installed only a couple of them, but I am quite sure that XY4 comes with
MultiMate conversion filters. Maybe somebody can confirm that.

>can live easily with; it has to allow me to work the way I want to - not
tell me
>how to work. When I try to use Windows or its programs and constantly
curse the
>way it does things, or the way it tries to dictate to me how my work
should be

Then, XYwrite is perfect for you. You can make it work exactly the way you
like.

>   I hope list members are not starting to tire of questions from me
which no
>doubt seem very elementary,

I don't think your questions are much more elementary than mine from the
viewpoint of the XY experts here. However, I wonder if you will make a
decision within this decade? :-)

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
Wilde)