Re: Editor / Formatter

** Reply to note from GOCH@xxxxxxxx 07/08/96 08:03am +0000

> My colleagues are amazed that I still use a "primitive" wordprocessor
> like XyWrite (for DOS, no less). And yet, the rough drafts of my
> book, articles and even class notes look far more polished than
> anything they can manage with their longer, lower and wider,
> turbo-charged WP's.

I encounter that attitude all the time. The popular notion that
character-based = "primitive" while GUI = "advanced" will become,
if anything, more entrenched. The certitude associated with
ignorance is often astonishing.

> And one final comment:   Why can't we reconceptualize the entire
> idea of a wordprocessor market? I, for one, would be happy to
> "subscribe" to XyWrite at, say $50/75 a year, in exchange for at least
> one update (even bug-fix) per year, a quarterly newsletter, a web
> site and telephone support. How can we expect a small company to
> survive when its major source of revenue must come from finding
> *new* customers??? That means XyWrite must constantly struggle
> against the giants while not being able to rely on the enlightened
> (i.e. confirmed XyWriters). Why must we treat XyWrite like an
> "object" rather than a "service" to which we subscribe or even an
> "organization" or "society" to which we pay membership dues???
>
> Myron

Interesting idea. I wonder if enough people would pay to support
even that level of service.
mu

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx