Two XyWin Conundrums

After installing the trial version of NB, I have run into two
strange problems with XyWin 4.12 (I also have XYDOS 4.018
installed). Uninstalling NB, and then uninstalling and
reinstalling XyWin, have not taken care of them:

1. Every time I open a file with XyWin, I get this error message.
If I open the file by clicking on it, using the file association,
the message is written into the top of it (yes, actually in the
file):

 2
Cannot use mixed font mode. No Speedo fonts.

Now I can't find in XWSET.DFL or XWSTART.INT anything about
Speedo fonts. I normally print using Windows drivers or those
built into the HP 4 Plus printer. There is no font directory
under XyWin. I keep Speedo fonts under XyDOS, in \XY\FONT

There was a default that read

; XY is location of bitmapped screen fonts and SCRFONTS.BIN
DF xy=C:\XY\FONT\

but I commented it out. I don't find anything pertinent in
HP4PLUS.PRN.

2. In anything but WYSIWYG mode, what XY calls the carriage
return displays as the familiar little left-pointing arrow. In
WYSIWYG mode using XYDOS, it displays the same way, which is what
I want. But in XYWin, it displays as an empty box, quite
obtrusive and undesirable. The setting in XWSET.DFL is LC=. Since no setting is needed to produce the
desired result in SETTINGS.DFL, I tried deleting the one in
XWSET.DFL, but I still get the nasty little box. I note, by the
way, that SETTINGS.DFL is a printer file (begins with ;PR;) and a
default is set to code page 437, whereas XWSET.DFL is a ;DF; file
and contains a LA850 delta on the first line.

Any idea what causes this freaky behavior? I will be glad to send
a copy of my startup or printer files to anyone who wants to
examine them.

COMPUTER     DELL DIMENSION XPS T500
CPU        PENTIUM III 500MHZ
RAM        128MB
HDD        6.4GB ULTRA ATA
BACKUP DISK    SONY CRX140S REWRITABLE CD-ROM
DISPLAY ADAPTER  ATI XPERT 98D W\9MB MEMORY
CD-ROM      40X MAX VARIABLE
MODEM       US ROBOTICS V90 56K
COMM SOFTWARE   NETSCAPE COMMUNICATOR 4.08, 128-BIT ENCRYPTION
PRINTER      HP LASERJET 4+
SCANNER      EPSON PERFECTION 1200S
WINDOWS      98 SECOND EDITION

Cheers,