Shorthand etc

I'm trying out Shorthand for Windows, a program that extends to all
Windows programs a XyWrite-like capacity for expanding short strings of
text to larger pieces (e.g. "mg" to "Myron Gochnauer"). It looks nice.
But the price is pretty steep for the casual user: $89 US. And when I
translate that into Canadian $... well, I try not to think about it.

Question: Is there anything else out there that does a similar job for
less money? It doesn't seem like a terribly complex task to program, so
I would expect others to have had a go at it.

Myron