xy/dos/win/ascii

I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times before, so please
forgive me, but:
can someone tell me what to do about upper ascii characters in standard Win
files and XyWrite? For instance, suppose I type something in German or
French in Notepad/Win. Later, I open that file in XyWrite 4. All the upper
ascii characters are wrong.

Two questions:
What is XyWrite doing here? Is it some kind of standard DOS handling of upper ascii, or is it XyWrite's own thing?
Is there a VERY SIMPLE filter I can use to switch back and forth between
these two encoding? I mean without going into WordforWord ? Isn't there
some 4 or 5 K program that will deal with this? Or perhaps it's built into
xywwweb, which I haven't really figured out how to use yet? Thanks.