Voice recognition (was: Re: coming back to xywrite)

At 05:23 PM 4/16/99 EDT, Judith Davidsen  wrote:

>[7] I seem to be ending all correspondence these days with the following
non-Xy query: Does anyone know of any voice recognition software in
existence or in the works that recognizes the voices of strangers?

We have had a discussion about that very subject on the National
Association of Science Writers list, and the answer is: no.

Maybe someday.

>I interview tons of people I never have spoken to before and never expect
to speak to again, and an old injury is making note-taking increasingly
nerve wracking.

One thing that does work would be for you to repeat their statements back
to them. People said that when they do interviews with Dragon Dictate
running, the program recognizes their own side of the conversation, but not
the other side.

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019