Re: Off subject - firewalls

At 02:07 PM 3/3/00 -0500, Nathan wrote:
>I suggest that you take a close look at Steve Gibson's web site,
>past the first page. His point is that, if you are not on a
>network, you can set the networking bindings in Win95 or Win98 so
>that you don't need a firewall, and are better off without one.
>He gives *very* detailed instructions. He ain't selling anything.

Undoing the network bindings didn't mean you were as safe as if you use
ZoneAlarm, according to the testing that his site does on attempting to
crack into your system.

The impression I got is that undoing the "bindings" gives you some but not
entirely adequate protection.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger