ROCK SOLID V.

XY-> I was reading your message concerning XyWin's apparent
 -> incompatability with ATM 3.01, when another customer using ATM 3.01
 -> and XyWin called. I took the opportunity to pose a few questions to
 -> him concerning their working together.
 -> This customer did note that when loading more than 74 fonts, he was
 -> not able to load his PS printer driver. If he loaded only 74,
 -> however, he could load the PS driver. So, my first question is how
 -> many fonts are you loading?

Hello, Kevin,

I keep anywhere from 100 to 200 type 1s active at a given time,
depending on my mood and number of projects. If that person was
having a problem with 74 fonts, he may have had insufficient
memory in general, too little memory for ATM, an overly large
win.ini, or an atypical font directory (that is, overly long path
names).

The theoretical limit with ATM 3.01 (and, probably, 2.6)
according to Adobe is 900 fonts; this has to do with the 64K max
for any ini file.

I hedge my bets, anyway, by using the Adobe PS driver, which
keeps the font list only in atm.ini and out of win.ini.

Of course, since XyWin at present is the *only* one of my apps
having a problem with ATM 3.01, I tend to think it's something
XyWin is doing.

 -> Concerning your screen display, I would recommend un remming your OL
 -> and XY settings in your .DFL file, and setting your UWF setting back
 -> to 2. This will stop the substitution of the box character for your
 -> XyWrite characters.

With the setup described above, XyWin (under ATM 3.01) locks upon

The only way I've managed to get XyWin and ATM 3.01 to work
together is with the two defaults commented out.

My feeling is that the problem is twofold.

First, copy to the clipboard the line

   This is a [264]quote,[265] isn[267]t it?

(where the numerals in brackets are Xy characters) from XyWin in
any mode and paste it into another app: Proper quotes and
apostrophe appear in Quark, Windows Write, and WordPerfect Win.
Paste it into Notepad, and you have square bullets instead of
quotes BUT the typographic apostrophe comes through. Of the
programs mentioned, Notepad is the only other one aside from
XyWin to use the system.ini fixed font. (The system.ini font
files are quite small and probably don't include a full
characters set.)

Second, it seems that whoever was responsible for developing the
character set relationship of XyWin from XyDOS had a big, big
problem in keeping compatibility. The decision, my guess, would
be to have the internal reference be to a Xy character number
represented in a speedo font. XyWin would then interpret that
character within a window reference.

Eliminate the speedo, the cross-reference is deleted, and XyWin
is at a loss to representing the character--and throws in the
bullet.

If the above theory is correct, it would also explain why the
XyWin graphic view is occasionally noticeably slower than other
apps: it has an additional step to take (i.e., speedo).

 -> Let me know how this turns out. I will be in contact with Adobe this
 -> week about getting ATM in here at least on evaluation.

Good luck with Adobe! I once wasted a half-hour explaining to a
technician why windown shouldn't have been adding fonts such as
Palatino to win.ini (it was in the readme file--it's hard enough
when users don't read readme files without throwing technicians
into the bargain); I wound up speaking to a supervisor who
recommended using a different font downloader.
The problem wasn't solved until Adobe introduced its own PS
driver.

--Chet

---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx  or  chet@xxxxxxxx