Re: Re[4]: help

** Reply to message from Emery Snyder  on Mon, 27
Jan 2003 11:46:41 -0500

> - displaying with odd character sets (e.g. I would type what appeared in
> draft mode as "[" "]" "," or "." and what appeared in graphics mode
> was always "_" ; or the whole font would display in symbol-font-like
> gobbledygook or open squares) and

> - not displaying the actual font in graphics mode (substituting
> courier or dutch).

> When I went to "printer setup" via the menus and tried to load Adobe
> Acrobat as the driver, XyWrite said "not enough memory to
> perform requested function"....

These three observations lead me to think that UWF=0, i.e. XyWrite is trying to
use XyWrite printer drivers rather than the Windows printing system -- and
maybe the XyWrite PRN's FA: and FP: tables don't associate the UseFont UF font
spec in your doc with any Bitstream display font. First, Dutch could only be
displayed if UWF=0. It's Bitstream (unless you happen to have a Windows TTF or
OF called "Dutch", something I've never seen). Second, why would XyWrite run
out of memory if you changed Windows printers? I can't imagine that XyWin
particularly cares about the printer used, it just hands the whole dirty job
over to Windows. I mean, with your cursor down in the document somewhere below
TOF, plug the following (in graphic mode) into a VA/NV command and what do they
return on the PRompt line? VA/NV $WF (current UWF setting), UF (current font),
$PF (SETP setting & PRNfile), $WX (which could account for the underscores
you're seeing in place of PS characters -- this maps chars not found in PS
fonts to Speedos chars).

Or -- well, I don't know what. I was going to say that some of your symptoms
look like UWF=2 that's failing for some reason. Are the fonts you're using
actually there? Also, Adobe is constantly asking me whether I want to update
Acrobat -- maybe you said yes, and then something changed?

Anyway, clearly something DID change. You just have to remember what it was.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx