Re: win98se and xywrite for new computer

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> I don't know about the maximum RAM issue, and don't
> think I had even
> heard of it,

Patricia, Avrom --

I recently read in a tech forum the assertion that W98
will just bug out if it encounters more than a certain
amount of RAM. I believe that 1G was the figure
cited. Someone claimed they had gotten it to work
with 768K. If I'm remembering this right, Avrom made
some reference to some (no doubt elaborate) workaround
that might finesse this. But I don't know enough
about it.

> but the big problem with 98 is DRIVERS.

I can attest to that. The last system I got was in
2004. It came with a full driver disk from the mfr.
for every Win from '95 through XP, plus drivers for a
non-Win opsys or two. I tried to install W98 SE,
using those mfr. supplied drivers. It was still very
much a No Go, along the lines you mentioned. However,
the box did have 1G of RAM, so that might have also
been a contributing factor. If 2004 hardware was a
problem, no doubt the situation is quite a bit worse
now.

> Ah, yes. Though Manhattan born and bread, I too used
> to root for the Dodgers.

Well, it's not illegal or immoral, should you choose
to do so again. ;-)  Don't forget that the Giants
also flew the coop back then, for more congenial
climes.

 Jordan