Re: win98se and xywrite for new computer

Avrom Fischer wrote:
Your idea of using a dedicated pc with win98se is a good one as a last resort but I am hoping to
avoid having more than the two pc's I now have on my desk(actually on the floor - only the monitor
and keyboard are on the desk).
Yes, desk space is always a problem. And the electrical issue even more so, esp. for apartment-dwellers.
I would still like to use a dual boot system but still do not know how to install win98se on a pc with more than 1/2 gig of ram or even whether you can install win98se on a pc with 4 gigs of ram.
I don't know about the maximum RAM issue, and don't think I had even
heard of it, but the big problem with 98 is DRIVERS. A driver is a small
(sometimes not-so-small; printer drivers can be as big as DOS used to
be) piece of software that lets the operating system know what a certain
piece of hardware in the system is and acts as a translator between the
opsys and the hardware. (Of course, PlugNPlay was supposed to do away
with the need for drivers. Hah!) If you don't have the right driver,
Windows not only won't be able to talk to, say, your display adaptor or
your network card, it will keep telling you that it has "found new
hardware" and trying to install it. AND the hardware manufacturers
stopped writing drivers for Win 98 even before Microsludge officially
discontinued support. So newer hardware--motherboard, display adaptors,
network cards, modems, sound cards, practically everything but hard,
floppy, and CD/DVD drives--cannot run W98 for lack of drivers. (I once
had a system, second hand, that could not run anything but NT4--and a
couple of versions of Linux. No W95, no W98, no ME, no XP, no nothing
drivers.)
I am one of those people living in Brooklyn who still ranks Walter O Malley with Stalin and Hitler as the most evil men in history.

Ah, yes. Though Manhattan born and bread, I too used to root for the
Dodgers.
On to your point about ordering from an assembler I did not know enough (and still do not know enough)to specify what I should order and got taken.
That can happen, but I've only recently gotten brand conscious. My first
three made to order PCs, I just specified general requirements, and got
good stuff. And the third, which is still running, has a mobo of a brand
I never heard of, but it's been one of the most reliable machines I've
ever owned (knock wood!).
any event I think the 4 year service contract makes the big name pc makers less unattractive.
Four-year? Where do you find it? More power to you if you can get it.
For what it is worth, Dell is willing to install xp. I guess they must be getting a lot of
negative feedback on vista.
Mirabile dictu, and will wonders never cease. Of course, Dell refuses to offer Linux as an installed opsys, but it recently came out that that (Ubuntu), along with Open Office, is what Michael Dell runs on his own machine. Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx