Re: Long filenames

This isn't much of a work-around, I admit, but I created an "LDIR" command in
my customized command file that does the following:
1. Freeze screen; change dir format to read/write
2. Call minimal dir and delete contents
3. Go to DOS and do dir command, with parameters for sorting; redirect this
with ">" to a temp file
4. Back in Xy4, MErge the temp file into the emptied-out directory from step
2; I think I do some minor formatting here, too (substitute spaces for the
dot in the 8-dot-3 entries? -- I don't have the code in front of me)
5. Unfreeze screen; reestablish read-only dir format

This is a real kludge, but it gives me both long and short directory entries,
in a Xy4 directory format from which I can open, copy, delete, move, etc.

I could turn this into a stand-alone pgm if there's demand (right now it's
tied into another routine for a most-recently-used list), but I have to
emphasize that it's definitely a kludge. I suspect Robert or Carl could
(will?) come up with something more elegant.

The intrepid among you should be able to follow the outline to create your
own kludge.

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx