Re: URGENT--features for "XyWrite 5," replies needed

Myron,

You may be right. However, I have never managed to use Xy4 in this way.
Perhaps I have not tried hard enough. I tried NB4, and it seemed to be a
lost cause at the time. Anyway, to achieve Xy3 compatibility in a more
modern setting like the NB engine, there should be a way to dispense
with all codes that you do not expressly put into the text yourself. And
then there should be a way of attaching colors (and maybe font
attributes like true italics and bold) to the modes. Putting the kind of
font selection codes that NB has into the text completely destroys any
attempt of achieving Xy3 compatibility. Some rudimentary printing
capability (e.g. Courier with italics and bold) of this kind of Xy3 text
would be nice, but it is not essential from my perspective.

The implementation could be quite simple:
i) no additional codes inserted by the program,
ii) interpretation of Xy3 modes, and perhaps print types from
user-supplied text file.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

Myron Gochnauer wrote:

I always believed that Xy4 could ’understand’ all Xy3 codes correctly, but that it used different some different defaults, added a few new codes, and defined page layouts in a different way. In other words, I thought Xy4 could pretend to be Xy3 by using different defaults and an exclusively Xy3-encoding keyboard file. Myron