Re: Printer Drivers for HP 2100TN

" In reference to Digest #802, I found a way to incorporate the
" PostScript initialization string into the PostScript driver itself
" rather than having to copy it to the printer from the command line.
"
" Originally I'd tried inserting it in the beginning of the existing
" "fb<string", but the driver wouldn't load.  I figured there was no
" logical reason why there couldn't be more than one "fb<string" as
" long as they were sequential (nothing in between them), though
" the XyWrite manual and the books I have don't address this
" particular issue.
"
" So just before the string beginning "fb<clear ..." I inserted on a
" separate line "fb<string-in-#802" including the carriage return at
" the end.  Works just fine.
"
" Now on to the width tables (thanks, Daniel Say!).
"
" -- Bill Shawcross  <wshawcross@xxxxxxxx>
"
--------------
	Another solution to printer drivers might be this
	below from the contemporareous DOS word processor
	Borland Sprint list
				Daniel Say
------------ quote ----------
Over the last seventeen years, I have accumulated thousands (upon
thousands) of FinalWord/Sprint files, all formatted for Postscript
printers.  My ancient (1988) Jetscript printer (= QMS800) is finally
beginning to show its age and may need to be replaced soon.

I have found three relatively low-priced PostScript printers: the Lexmark
Optra 310; the Lexmark Optra 312; and the NEC 870.  The Lexmark printers
come factory equipped with Postscript; the NEC offers postscript as an
add-odd extra ($117US).

If any of you have firsthand experience with any of these printers I would
be grateful if you would tell me of your experience using them.  (Please
send me email directly [swartz@xxxxxxxx] rather than reply to the entire group.)

If you know of any other Postscript printers in the price range of
$300-500, please let me know.

Prof. Norman Swartz (Ret.)
Dept. of Philosophy Simon Fraser University Burnaby, BC Canada  V5A 1S6
email: swartz@xxxxxxxx

Message 26/1708  From Kevin Goodwin                 Aug 26, 00 03:59:18 PM -0700