Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: overcoming the XP lag

At 11/4/2004 01:44 PM -0500, Avrom Fischer wrote:
>I have a problem with xp in that when I exit xywrite my computer seems to
>freeze within the window for command prompt.  I than do a
> to get to task manager and then I click end task  I use
>xywrite 4.017, and have a pc with a gig of ram and and amd 2200
>processor.  I do not have the same problem when I exit other dos programs
>such as wordperfect or word for word or any other dos program.  is this
>related to the problem called xp lag.  any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>I find many of the emails are over my head.  I have started to read
>Xywrite 4Macros by Campbell and Allen.  Is that a worthwhile book or would
>I be better of reading xywrite revealed by tyson.

As one of our experts here repeatedly points out, XyWrite for DOS was not
written to perform in a Windows environment. We were able with tweaks to do
well in W3.1-->W98SE, but began to experience various problems -- mostly
screen and keyboard problems -- with the advent of XP. The problems come
when you try to run XyWrite in a Window, or DosBox, as some here call it.
If you run it full-screen, you essentially eliminate almost all the issues.
What you are reading about in this thread is an attempt by experienced
XyWrite users -- ah, let's make that *veteran* XyWrite users with varying
degrees of computer experience -- to *force* the program to run in an XP
Window, this to improve the screen appearance. In XP SP1 it was impossible
to get smooth operation in a Window. With SP2 we are meeting with mixed
results. These posts are essentially trying to figure out why our tweaks --
largely stumbled on -- are working. If we can figure it out, perhaps we can
come up with a solution that does not require jerry-rigging. Meanwhile, to
your point, the best way to learn how to set the program up to work in XP
is to take a few hours and run a search at

http://xywrite.org

the XyList archive with a great search engine. There you will find many
suggestions on creating shortcuts and the settings various folks use in the
*properties* tab of the shortcut. If you get really lost, give a yell and
I'm sure someone here will grab the essentials off the list and send them
along. But they are really all there. Suggest a *field search* for XP. Lots
of instructions on the site. Finally, the *Customization Guide* IMHO is the
best book on Xywrite.

Michael Norman