Re: Keyboard reprogramming and VMs

My needs are a lot less complex than Kari's, but here are two notes:
After years of minor problems with AllChars, I've switched to WinCompose 0.9.4:

http://wincompose.info/

And for simple keyboard-remapping, I use SharpKeys:

https://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/
I use an ancient Lenovo keyboard with no Win key, so I map the WinKey to ScrlLock, and it works perfectly.
Probably neither of these are adequate to Kari's situation, but they may
be enough for at least some others.
As for the Dvorak layout, after many hours with it, I found it no easier
to use than the standard keyboard, and that seems to a fairly common
experience. Of course, I would guess that there are people who swear by
it, so there's no reason to take me seriously about this.