Re: Emulate Insert key on a Mac?

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Wed, 5 Aug 2020
08:16:43 -0400

> I suppose XyWrite has a command that switches or toggles Typeover
> mode

XyWrite has an embarrassment of riches in this regard -- no fewer than
six functions which can be assigned in the keyboard file.

CI = Switch to Overstrike mode (from Insert).
MI = Switch from Overstrike to Insert until a cursor key is pressed.
SI = Switch to Insert mode (from Overstrike).
TI = Toggle between Insert and the active Overstrike mode.
TO = Toggle between Overstrike and Insert mode.
TW = Switch between Insert mode and Word Overstrike mode.

Since I never use Overstrike mode, I haven't experimented enough to
become familiar with the nuanced differences among these functions. I
simply assign SI to the Insert key to guard against toggling Overstrike
by mistake.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx