Re: XyWrite for Windows (10)

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson  Sat, 12 Sep 2020 08:50:07 -0400

> ... the SendTo folder (accessible by opening a Start Menu Run box and entering "shell:sendto"
> without the quotation marks).

This tip from Edward prompted me to investigate what other Windows folders are accessible via the
"shell:" command, and whether these commands can be issued from the cmd.exe command prompt rather than the
Run dialog. My answer is encapsulated in SHEL.BAT. The list would not let me attach it to this message,
so the file is available here: http://xywwweb.ammaze.net/dls/SHELBAT.ZIP

The usages -- from the cmd.exe prompt -- are:

SHEL shell_command     ==> run shell:shell_command
SHEL list              ==> list all available shell commands
SHEL list [keyword(s)] ==> list shell commands|folders containing keyword(s)

Keywords consisting of a phrase must be enclosed in double quotes. Compare
  SHEL list user pinned
with
  SHEL list "user pinned"

You can have a single set of double quotes after LIST, or individual, unquoted keywords, but not
both.

I tried to find an authoritative list of "shell:" arguments in microsoft.com, to no avail.
The list incorporated in SHEL.BAT is what I found via Google. If you know of an authoritative list, please
let me know.

Finally: SHEL.BAT works in the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I can't speak to earlier versions.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx