OT for Kari, or possibly Flash (re making Win apps portable)

Kari,

Based on past threads here I might guess that you just choose to go the full VM route for an entire OS, including all the stuff that has been installed into it.  But I was wondering if you have tried anything with making individual apps fully portable ?  See: Create a Portable Version of Any Application in Windows

The solution for this that I've heard of the most is VMWare ThinApp.  Another called Cameyo has reportedly been discontinued by its developer.  The article mentions and recommends a third one.  The ready-made type I have seen and liked so far is PAF, used by the site PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable, and cloud drives

but only for freeware it seems, and by an express consent of the respective app developers.   At its best, this process allows one to run even an elaborate office suite from a flashdrive.  (That is no doubt much, much easier with an older DOS program such as Xy, for which I recall the procedure has been published here.)

If you have any experience with or insights into this process and its results, I would like to hear them.

  Jordan