Re: OT for Kari, or possibly Flash (re making Win apps portable)

Jordan,

You are right about my inclination towards full-fledged VMs. I use only a desktop workstation, I have no laptops, so I have not felt the need to go portable. I usually prefer the installer version over the portable version given the choice.

Unfortunately, I cannot be of much help as I have not experimented with
this concept of making applications portable.
In many instances, light-weight run-time virtual solutions like vDosPlus and OTVDM/WINEVDM can be preferable to complete VMs, especially for older OS's like DOS and Win 3.1. On the other hand, applications that interact with other applications may benefit from complete VMs (like Acrobat 6 in W2K or the complete PostScript printing environment in Win 3.1).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
Lexitec in English: https://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
Home page in Finnish: https://www.lexitec.fi/

Based on past threads hereI might guess that you just choose to go the full VM route for an entire OS, including all the stuff that has been installed into it.  But I was wondering if you have tried anything with making individual apps fully portable ?