Re: A reprogrammable keyboard alternative

Once again I sing the praises of Autohotkey, with a full and modern programming language (AutoIt)
behind it. It’s light years beyond any programmable keyboard I know of.

Free at autohotkey.com.

I’ve used it for about 20 years. Incidentally, has one of the finest Help files I know.

   -- HB

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 7, 2021, at 2:16 AM, Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As my Avant Stellar has been malfunctioning, I have looked for alternatives, and I bought
recently a Cherry POS ('point of sale') keyboard.

> CHERRY G86-71400 (https://cherryamericas.com/cherry-g86-71400.html)
is a programmable (hardware & software) keyboard with a powerful software tool for programming.
The feel is somewhat average, but it is a sturdy unit with plenty of spare keys for special needs.
All keys can be remapped and the firmware can be rewritten to change scancodes (perfect for
non-Windows setups like Linux). Shift and ctrl layer reprogramming is done in software mode with the
software that comes with product. On the other hand, one can use more versatile programs like
kbdedit (http://www.kbdedit.com) for software
keyboard programming.

> I am still setting up and getting used to this unit, so it is early days for a final verdict,
but it has many nice features that are sorely lacking in other alternatives.