Re: U2 setup question

Reply to note from Edward Mendelson <em36@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Tue, 3 Jan 2023 14:47:13 -0500

Edward,

> The question is about the readme-u2.pdf.
>
> Page 2 says ...
>
> nn=NO,JM,2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,Q2
>
> Page 7 Page 7 says to use:
>
> nn=NOXHJM(,2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,)
>
> Which page has the correct instruction, page 2 or page 7?

Either one will work; they are interchangeable for purposes of configuring the Helpkey. The
inconsistency in the two places of the readme is, of course, confusing. Thanks for pointing this
out. I'll revise accordingly, and will add that the scan code for F11 is 87.

> Anyway, my XY4.KBD keyboard file has XH,EF, JC assigned to F11.
> What will I lose if I replace this with the Helpkey string?

That assignment allows editing the contents of a footnote or other embedded command in a pop-up
window. It can be transferred to another key if you choose to use F11 for the Helpkey.

Installing the latest version of U2, by the way, is a way to try out the additional code pages
enabled by the Service Pack without maintaining a dedicated installation for each code page (and
thus without the need to re-customize each installation). The new U2 command, XYCP, swaps in the
necessary settings for display and printing in each code page but leaves other preferences alone.
(To take advantage of XYCP, you need to be running XyWrite 4, with U2, under vDosPlus.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx