Re: vDosPlus XyWrite 4 Service Pack and vDosPlus XyWrite Update (for all XyWrite products)

Edward,

Thank you for the thumbs-up.
I would like to point out something that is not in the documentation, and that can make a difference to some users. For English speakers and most Western users, there are two code pages to choose from, namely CP437 and CP850. Which one to choose? XyWrite 4 used to have CP437, and Signature had CP850. Due to this heritage, some things, like 'Save As' work better even today using CP850. Therefore, if you do not need box and line draw and/or Greek characters as in CP437, it may be advisable to use CP850.

In CP850, these Save As options work very well:
XyWrite 4            CP850
XyWrite III+         CP437
ASCII                CP850
MS Rich Text Format  CP850
HTML
MS Word 5.0, 5.5
Word for Windows 7.0
WordPerfect 6.0, 6.1
WordStar 7.00

Whereas in CP437, only these work just right:
XyWrite 4            CP437
ASCII                CP437
Other Save As filters do not handle characters beyond 175 according to the original code page.
There is a fixpack for CP437 in the planning stage but at the moment
code page 850 may be your best bet. CP437 users can, however, get
accurate conversions using the optional ConvertCP add-on, it handles
even supplemental CPs with aplomb (e.g. to and from Unicode, etc.).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***
Lexitec in English: https://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
Lexitec English and Finnish dictionaries: https://sk.lexitec.fi/en/
Home page in Finnish: https://www.lexitec.fi/
When I complained privately to Kari that the updater lost my customizations, he very properly reminded me to read "Before Installing.txt." Don't make the same mistake I did. The update is very much worth having.