Re: Some U2 questions

Reply to note from Kari Eveli <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sat, 7 Jan 2023 12:59:08 +0200

> I do not share Carl's enthusiam about code-page switching within a
> session. It may be the solution if you want to have only one
> instance of XyWrite 4 with all the CP possibilities included in
> one place.

Kari and I held a series of G2 summits on the subject in the course of making the Service Pack. Over
the months I came to appreciate the value of having individual default installations for the various
code pages. There's a pristineness and clarity about them that makes them more manageable for users
who may be new to XyWrite or to XyWrite 4, or who -- like most users in the target audience, I
suspect -- normally work in a single code page, whichever it might be. Apart from that, the
installers constitute an invaluable archival resource, deserving of a long afterlife in any eventual
Smithsonian Museum of Computing.

But I came to the project with a different set of assumptions from Kari's, i.e., that the vast
majority of Service Pack users would be long-time XyWriters with heavily customized setups and an
engrained preference for operating the program by means of commands rather than menus. For such
users, the U2 variant should have strong appeal. It enables immediate integration of all the
available code pages, obviating the need to reconstruct elaborate existing customizations. And while
I'm sure that haute horlogerie rests easy, it *is* pretty neat to be able to switch between code
pages with a single command. (Personally, I'm thrilled with the newfound ability to produce Cyrillic
text using XyWrite 4.)

As for Edward's question yesterday regarding U2 -- "does anyone have it working?", the
answer -- verifiable by consulting the archives of this mailing list -- is that U2 has been a useful
add-on for many Xy4 users for the last 25 years or so. I'm sure that there's a discoverable
explanation for the anomalies that you (Edward) have experienced and that, unless your setup is
somehow wildly atypical (which I doubt), you'll be able to get U2 up and running in short order.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx