Re: WC wildcard

Reply to notes from "Alistair A. Saldanha"
 Wed, 3 Dec 97 01:51:59 +0000 and
rrr@xxxxxxxx (Rene von Rentzell) Wed, 3 Dec 97 03:21:33 +0000

-> I'm using XyWrite 3.54 on a daily basis. The text files I use
-> have characters near the carriage return, which characters need
-> to be replace with other text. I'm trying to get the XPL
-> program I'm writing to recognize a carriage return using the WC
-> wildcard character (carriage return) (pfunc WC). [...] I can
-> get the command line to recognize a carriage return with Ctrl-
-> Enter but it would help if I could include the routine in the
-> macro itself. [AAS]

-> Sort of glad somebody asked. I have the same problem, [...] [RRR]

To code a wild carriage return in Xy3, you need to embed a _3-byte_
Ascii-10. (Func WC was broken, as I recall.) Hold down Ctrl+Shift
(or whatever combination of shifting keys accesses funcs R0, R1 ...
R9), press 1, 0, then release. The resulting character will display
and print (in XyWrite) as a normal Ascii-10, but actually will
consist of 3 bytes (Ascii-255 + "0A"). (The 3-byte construction can
be verified by SAving the character to a file and TYPEing the file
at the DOS command prompt. Not coincidentally, 0A is the
hexadecimal equivalent of 10 decimal.)

So, the code to search for a carriage return+line feed in Xy3 would
be:

 BC se [255+48+65]XC

where "[255+48+65]" represents the 3-byte Ascii-10 described above.

You can map a 3-byte Ascii-10 to a key with the following keyboard
file code (the character following the first comma isn't a space;
it's a 3-byte Ascii-255, produced by holding down Ctrl-Shift and
pressing 2,5,5):

nn=NO, ,0,A

nn=R1,R0 also works.

Carl Distefano