Re: DOS help wanted

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Eric Van Tassel wrote:

> I've been having an occasional problem with my PC (Intel 486, running DOS
> 6.2 and Windows 3.1). When I try to boot up in the morning, the PC thinks
> there's a floppy disk in the 3.5" drive and gives me an error message to
> that effect -- "Failure to read Diskette ..." or something along those
> lines -- followed by "F1 for setup ... F2 to reboot ..." recurring
> infinitely.

Something that works more often than you'd think it ought to: Take the
floppy disk drive out, disconnect every connection, then put it back in
and connect everything again. Do the same with the connection to the
controller -- disconnect it and re-connect it. Sometimes some corrosion
on a contact can cause erratic behavior.

This is simply the latest version of an old radio repairman's trick.
Pulling out a tube and putting it back in again fixed many a radio and TV
set back in the old vacuum tube days.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                   lawyer@xxxxxxxx
 Boston, MA 02108-2503            http://world.std.com/~lawyer/