Re: NB 5 Windows updates

on the Notabene list Anne Putnam has put out a few
update notes on NotaBene Windows.

It is probably best to visit their website for
the latest news.

" Dear NBers --
"
" Thanks to those of you who wrote about the new 5.003 sharing violation
" problem, to those of you who called in to the office and especially to Dave
" Malesky for his contribution to the list. The 5.003 sharing violation
" problem has been fixed and version 5.004 is being tested in our office now
" and will be available within a few days (tomorrow or Monday, if all goes
" well). As has been noted on the list, making sure that your automatic
" backup is not disabled should solve the problem until you receive version
" 5.004. (Click Tools, Preferences, select Backup and make sure that the
" Backup check box is checked.)
"
" We are actually quite excited about some of the changes and improvements we
" are making, and I thought I'd give you an update.
"
" First, version 5.003 includes (among other things) improvements/bug fixes
" to styles, footnotes and counters, a few additions to the View menu, the
" addition of Window Options (requested by many of our DOS users -- search for
" Window Options under 5.003/4 Help for details), additions to
" sample files and help files and perhaps most importantly, significant
" changes to the underlying code that will lead to a more stable operation.
" The operation was pretty stable prior to version 5.003 and most
" frequently-occurring bugs in the program had been fixed prior to version
" 5.003, so many of the fixes in this version will fall into the category of
" things that you never knew were broken. Nevertheless, they have been fixed
" and the program has just become stronger.
"
" The new version 5.004 will contain the following changes:
" 1. The above-mentioned fix to the sharing violation problem.
" 2. A fix to foreign language keyboards (the space bar was not working
" properly in version 5.003).
" 3. A new system improvement that just missed being included in 5.003. This
" relates specifically to system stability problems encountered by a very
" small minority of our customers related to the hardware being used. It was
" a difficult problem to solve because everything worked fine on our computers
" (and most people's computers). Finally one of our customers brought his
" computer into the office and left it with us. This helped our programmers
" diagnose the problem and fix it. In the process, they made changes to the
" code that they believe will improve the overall stability, speed and
" efficiency of the program.
" 4. Minor improvements to Help files and sample files.
"
" If you just ordered and received the version 5.003 update, let us know and
" we will pay for the mailing for version 5.004. Otherwise, the update is
" free by download over the web or the CD is $10 to cover shipping, handling
" and materials. Demo CDs are always free (we pay for shipping etc.), so if
" you know anyone who would like to get acquainted with the program for 90
" days, please let us know.
"
" Finally, our primary programming efforts are focused on Lingua now, and we
" are making good progress. In response to numerous requests, we hope to make
" a beta/prerelease version available to current NB customers as soon as
" possible (with free updates to the full release version). The initial
" beta/prerelease will probably include Greek and Cyrillic first, with Hebrew
" added to the program later. I'll let you know as soon as we have something
" that we can make available.
"
" We also, as just noted by Philip Stokes, are testing a European version that
" will address problems encountered by our friends on the other side of the
" ocean. Glad to hear that it seems to be working well!
"
" We are now at the point where we feel that we have not just a reasonably
" stable program, but a very stable program (in the US/Canada -- still working
" on the not-as-thoroughly- tested European version). Hope that you agree and
" that you are enjoying it.
"
" Please feel free to contact me directly or any of us at NB-NY if you have
" any questions or comments.
"
" Anne
" aputnam@xxxxxxxx