Re: XyShell

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Tue, 14
Jan 2003 13:53:22 GMT

Paul:

Whew! I'm trying to follow all these twists and turns ("DOSONLY", "Prevent
MDSOS programs from detecting Windows", critical settings commented out --
why??). At least your setup seems to be normalizing. One thing: are you
relaunching XyWrite after each of these changes (to AUTOEXEC.NT, to Properties,
and to anything else, SETTINGS.DFL for example)? You really must relaunch,
everything must initialize correctly. Your W2K message indicates one
fundamental mismatch: "When I try to command sw I get the message
'Process "*c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe*" not found'." What's wrong there is
that CMD.EXE is in "C:\WINNT\system32" -- there isn't any C:\WINDOWS directory
in factory-issue W2K! I suspect that the OpSys is not being identified
correctly. I can't imagine why. You have made some very goofy configuration
choices, and ... what can I say? If GetXyOS is not returning the operating
system properly, then that's the explanation for these strange results. You
might try to determine, diagnostically, whether GetXyOS is working on your
system. That is, clear S/G 652 of content (command
"SV 652," -- note the space and comma), then command
"GETXYOS", then command "VA/NV @652", and see what it returns.
The current OpSys must be indentified! I suggest that you double-check, after
launching XyWrite but before experimenting with XyShell, that S/G 652 is
correctly set: "XyOS=W2K" in W2K, "XyOS=W98" in Win98SE. If this routine is
screwing up -- or, because of some environmental setting, is not being allowed
to run -- then that needs to be addressed.

Re: 50 lines. Is this 50 lines in VGA full screen, or 50 lines in a DOS box?
When you say, "Using either the 'shell to dos' key or sw invokes a dos
screen running in 50 line mode", actually it is only starting CMD.EXE or
COMMAND.COM -- the 50-line screen is your established preference. I.e. your
default PIF is set for 50 lines. Go to
Start==>Programs==>Accessories==>Command Prompt, RMB on it, go
Properties==>Layout, change buffer to width 80 height 300, screen width 80
height 25. When you say that on return your own screen settings are "screwed
up", you'll have to elaborate -- no clue what you mean. My XyWrite screen is
always exactly as I left it.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx