Re: sort problem in XY3 !!! SOLVED !!!

Reply to note from "Pierre d'Or jcvanhaeften@xxxxxxxx"
 Sun, 28 May 2006 10:38:41 +0200

Carel:

> So, after starting Xy an sk=2 will give you a reverse sort (of
> the standard sort-file) but XY also accepts sk=3 and 4, 5 and
> so on I tried an Va SK and surprisingly that worked, returning
> 3 values: 2,80,0 where 2 = the Sk-value 80 = length of sort-key
> (maybe shortening that it will speedup your sort?) 0 = offset
> for start of the sort-key

Ah, so you noticed. I didn't mention the second and third values of
SK; I was trying to keep it simple. The first value is "where the
action is" as far as your problem is concerned. The four basic
options are:

SK=0 sort letter-by-letter ("Newark" before "New York")
SK=1 sort word-by-word ("New York" before "Newark")
SK=2 reverse sort
SK=4 delete duplicates

But note that these basic values can be combined by addition, thus:

SK=3 <==> SK=1+2 sort word-by-word AND in reverse order
SK=5 <==> SK=1+4 sort word-by-word AND delete duplicates
etc. etc. (I'm sure you see by now how SK=6 and SK=7 will behave.)

> I had no need to change my KBD-file and overwrite the Ctrl-M
> for an other purpose, but if you did so, you voluntary got rid
> off the originally Ctrl-M and you did have to park the Cntrl-M
> under an other key(stroke) or you lost it

Actually, that's not true. You can always issue FUNC ME on the
command line. (Try it.)

> ===who's who
> 1. my Christian name = Carel
> 1a. Charles in English
> 1b. guess it will be the same in American/English

So, we're namesakes. Although, in my case, the name derives not
from the English Charles or the German Karl, but from the Italian
Carmelo (my grandfather's name), the masculine form of Carmela or
Carmel, from the Hebrew for garden -- a far cry from the carlish
connotations of the Teutonic etymon.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx