Re: Dictionaries

Michel:

 You aren't *required* to use macros to toggle between different language
setups; I only suggested that because setting it up really is a "simple" matter
of turning on the RK RecordKeystroke macro-maker -- you don't need to know
anything about macros or XPL to do that, and it's in the manual (somewhere).
All you need to figure out are the *correct* manual commands.

 So, what are they? I'm not entirely sure; I've never had your problem. But
here are some thoughts. The current UD is stored in VAriable UD. You can find
out what it is by commanding "VA/NV UD" on the command line; the response will
appear on the PRompt line. Note that you MUST be in a good mood, to get a
response to this query, i.e. *not* in eXPanded mood but rather draft mood or
"better". Sorry, that's mode, not mood. (To my mind, there is no "better"
mode than eXPanded -- but its another discussion.) You can embed ®VAUD¯ in
text in draft mode, to see your current dictionary type (US|FRANCAIS) displayed
beside the embedded triangle -- on my system it says "®VAUD¯US" -- try it.

 ®VALX¯ (or ®VA$LX¯) should point to the directory of your PCLEXAM files, if
you have them (only if you ran Signature); command "VA/NV LX" or "VA/NV $LX".
The PCLEXAM.DL# files were the spellers (along with US.DIC) that accompanied
Sig, before Xy reverted back to the old III+ spellers (in English-speaking
districts anyway, like the narrow strip of the Upper West Side of NYC in which
I live; I don't know about French districts -- how good is the French spell
checker anyway? is there a tr?sor too?).

 In msg #8713 from last March, which may still be available on this BBS, I
outlined one method for toggling between these two (Sig-Xy3+4) spellers. The
whole thing was buggy as I recall, but... in that msg, I wrote that default
variable UD is *not part* of the default Xy4 installation package:

 "In SETTINGS.DFL, re-enable two old Sig defaults that apparently aren't part
of standard Xy4 installation (don't even appear anymore on Xy4 lists of
defaults):
 ; Location of Signature DICtionary file (e.g. C:\SIG1D\US.DIC)
 df lx=C:\SIG1D
 ; Type of spelling dictionary
 df ud=US"

 I can no longer verify any of this info, because my factory-issue SETTINGS.DFL
is largely purged of factory influences. But the point is that you probably
want to re-enable UD in your SETTINGS.DFL -- it still functions, and I imagine
that it must be crucial to changing dictionaries! Because you want to be able
to say:
 d ud=FRANCAIS
 There's also the bizarre default OM OldMasticon that might have some bearing
here, I'm not sure, manual doesn't mention it and trying to SET it to a value
other than 31 or 0 led to total system crashes. (Isn't Xy fun?) Apparently:
  d om=31 <<