Re: Running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!

I hauled a NYTimes Teleram Portabubble (which used the magnetic bubble
memory perfected by Andy Bobec at the old Bell Labs; BTW Bobec had one of
the first Apples at home) across three states for a year or more, along
with a hundred-foot grounded orange extension cord. Reporters at other
papers and those for television outlets always gathered around to gawk. At
a gubernatorial debate a TV producer told me I'd have to turn the machine
off because it was "putting out rays" that interfered with their feed.
Since this is a family site I won't repeat my reply. Indeed the Portabubble
was finicky, and I spent many days in Teleram's factory in New Jersey
waiting for repairs. Makes you chuckle to think of that tiny screen (What
was it, 3x5 ?) next to the 21-inch picture-window monitors today. At home I
had a Kaypro (folding box) with two 5 1/4 floppies (or was it 5 1/2? with
WordStar). I acquired the XyDos habit in the newsroom when IBM PC's began
to appear alongside the Atex terminals.
Michael Norman