Re: XYWRITE digest 2815

XYWRITE: Xywrite Word Processor for Dos & Windows wrote:
			  XYWRITE Digest 2815

Re: XY Printing under XP or Vista
From:
"Patricia M. Godfrey"
Date:
Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:32:09 -0500
To:
xywrite@xxxxxxxx

To:
xywrite@xxxxxxxx

William E. Shawcross wrote:
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has figured out how to send the
XY print stream to a network port rather than using the LPT1 hardware
connection. Thanks!

Yes, indeed. Easy as pie. On Sept. 7, 2003, robert Holmgren wrote:

 >> the simplest way is to set XyWrite up to print to LPT1, ...
 > then allow your ... printer to be shared,
 > determine the name of the share (NET VIEW command will print it to
 > the console, or goto your printer ==> Properties ==> Sharing ==>
 > click "Shared as" ==> set or get the sharename in the box there),
 > and then redirect LPT1 to the share, thus:

 > NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES

 > Just print normally from XyWrite to "LPT1". Should work.

 > Another solution (the one I use) is to TYF your document, then use
 > the Unix command LPR (Line Printer Remote) to send the document to
 > your "network" printer. Something like:

 > lpr -S 123.456.789.012 -P Hp1000 -o l d:\path\FO.TMP

 > where "-S" is the URL of the machine with the printer, "-P" is the
 > printer device (the sharename), "-o l" treats the file as binary
 > data (which it is, after processing through a XyWrite printer file),
 > and FO.TMP is the default output of TYF. The only thing I don't
 > know is whether that will work on just one machine and not a
 > network. Worth a try, though, because it's fast and can
 > be automated: TYF, then dos/nv/x/z /c LPR ... -- always the same
 > command, always FO.TMP.

I'm not sure if that last bit would apply to xy III.
This is, of course, assuming Vista hasn't changed the rules for shares. But I doubt it would. Too many people will have networks with Vista, XP, and even W2K boxes in them.
Many thanks for the pointer. The original message appears to have an
error in it -- NET SHARE is needed to show the names of shared printers;
NET VIEW just gives you the name of the server.
I have tried this, and NET accepts the command. However, XyWrite shows
"write fault" when I try to print to LPT1 as usual, and WinGrab does the
same. Any suggestions?

Thanks! -- Bill Shawcross