Re: Stack question

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sun, 18 Jan 2004
15:43:49 -0500

> 1. When the "hint" procedure doesn't find a match, it still fetches
> something from the stack, but it's an irrelevant command. E.g., when
> there's no command in the stack that begins with a "d," the hint brings up:
>
> se /gt,ld/
>
> Maybe this is a feature, not a bug, but I'd prefer that a non-match produce
> a PRompt to the effect "no match in stack."

On my machine, it says "No Stack Match".

> 2. I'm a little confused by the order of the stack. Since it is a "stack,"
> shouldn't the order be:

> most recent
> second most recent
> third most recent

It is. Command "STACKAUX I" to see the physical order.

> so that cursor down moves us from top (most recent) down towards less
> recent?

It's the opposite. Up moves forward through the Stack, Down goes backward.
When you first start perusing the Stack, you are at the most recent command.
So Down will take you to the _end_ of the Stack. If you go forward a few with
Up, then Down goes back through the items you just passed until it hits the top
of the stack, and then it goes round to the end and continues backward toward
the top again. You can go round and round if you want.

> I tried just switching the order in s/g 621 to
> $D LU but that didn't change this.

It will if you re-initialize Stack (don't change KBD file, only S/G 621):
 First save your current Stack to disk: STACK
 Then "STACK.INT" to re-init Stack (or Quit & relaunch Editor)
 Finally "RUN MY.STK" to reload your saved Stack
Everything, including Hinting, will reverse. Down will be Up, Up will be Down,
back asswards. Works perfectly here.

Returning to that first problem. I'm mimicking your setup exactly here. @D LU
in S/G 621 (I'm using @D instead of $D, but same difference -- it hold GT LD ).
I put "se /gt,ld/" in the Stack. I check to make sure that there is no "d,..."
in the Stack. I offer hint: "d,". And it says "No Stack Match".

You SCREWED IT UP again, Harry. WHAT are we gonna do with you?? (Actually,
there may be some corruption in your stack from experimental this and that, I
dunno what you've been up to. Why not Clear the Stack, and start over (or save
what you've got, then Clear) -- do a controlled test this time with just a few
commands in the Stack, see what result you get. If you're getting false hits,
then you do NOT have code good, or a good install. Because I've never seen
that... DL the package again, I've made a few further changes/economies in the
code... http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/stack32b.zip -- note the v3.2_b_!)

I have some additional ideas/thoughts about Stack, but I'm reluctant to post
over and over, offering a zillion different downloads, so I'm gonna let it
simmer for a few more hours or days or whatever...

Good luck

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx