Re: XyWrite on an old laptop? (one more)

>I'm going to be getting an old laptop to use just for word processing on
>the road. It's a 386 with 1 meg of RAM. On my desktop, I've been using
>WordPerfect 6.2 for DOS, but I just know that will run too slow on the
>laptop. How about XyWrite? Do any of you use it on a similar machine? Is
>the performance acceptable?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jim Boris

One more to the long chorus.

I picked up a toshiba 1000 about 4 years ago for the same purpose.
The machine is now zapped and not worth getting another battery, but
while it lasted it ran XY3+ nicely indeed.

The Toshiba had DOS (version 2.11) partly built in,
and only one (right, 1) 3.5 inch disk drive -- no hard drive.
Once XY was loaded, you took out the disk & inserted a data disk
(or even a disk with the thesaurus and/or spell dictionary) and continued.
XyWrite could be stripped, of course, but I never found it necessary as
I was generally writing shorter pieces (40-50K max)

I also experimented with using XyWrite as the command processor on another
portable -- I've done it with an XT -- but it really wasn't necessary
on the Toshiba (with dos in ROM) -- even though it makes a nice touch.
If you had limited space it's one way of saving some memory.
In any case, I could still write using XyWrite faster than my
fingers could keep up with my brain.

-pjd