reinstallation of OS

A product by the people that make LapLink, called PCSynch, also claims
to migrate all your app settings and preferences from one computer to
another. But you still have to reinstall all your apps.

http://www.laplink.com/products/pcsync/overview.asp

I tend to reinstall Windows from scratch every other year or
so; somehow the cumulative MS patches and the process of installing,
updating, and removing apps just make it get weird after a while. I've
done that with win 95 and 98 SE. Starting from scratch usually
improves performance. Yes, it takes a day or two, but it's worth it. I
would install the OS, then the anti-virus software (and update the
signatures), then install the latest Windows patches before installing
any of the apps.