Re: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

On Dec 20, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:
One of the big advantantages of OS X, and the second reason i left windows behind, was this Unix environment.
That's what motivated me to try the Mac. But it seemed to me, in my
perhaps ignorance, that UNIX doesn't play the same role in the Mac
as DOS did in Win9x. For instance, the UNIX directory structure
didn't seem to relate in any easy way to the structure I saw in
normal Mac usage.
The Unix directory structure does take some getting used to, and you
are correct, its not as straight foward, with regard to how/where
applications are stored as DOS. If you use Unix you kind of HAVE to
know where certain things are stored. OS X follows this convention
under the covers, and you're right that isn't readily apparent from
looking at the OS X gui.
Sorry it didn't work for you. Hope you found something that works for
you!

Russ