Re: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> I think that if I'd had a Mac guru at hand to show
> me everything, I might
> have stuck with Mac. But I didn't, and the learning
> curve was steeper than
> I had anticipated.

I thought both Russ and Robert articulated their very
diverse arguments very well. I have no direct Mac
experience of my own (other than a few scattered
moments here or there), and so cannot stake a position
on this. However, I can relate the experience of my
brother-in-law. He was a Mac person for many years,
then took a 3 year detour with a W2K tower PC in his
home office. He is a very capable individual, with a
few advanced degrees. Also someone with a rather busy
life, who tends to prefer that things "just work",
rather than having to fiddle with them inordinately to
get them to work. He would much rather put his
"fiddling with" time into things like perfecting his
concert performance skills. (And that is strictly a
sideline.)

Well, he finally threw in the towell on the PC, and
replaced it with a G5, or whatever the better Mac is
these days. During his 3 year sojourn in PC-dom, I
would hear from him with some regularity in regard to
what he considered various atrocious design
shortcomings of Windows. It was mostly on the order
of "I can't believe this ! They've got to be kidding
!" He was delighted to finally donate the PC
somewhere. I would say he's done with Bill.

btw, I think he has needed a Mac guru just a couple of
times over many years, and then only briefly.

Jordan