Re: Outlook Express (etc) and the persistent virus

It's entirely normal for "deletion" of messages not actually to delete them
from a hard drive. There's nothing Microsoft-specific about this behavior;
Eudora is just one alternative that behaves the same way.

I've got at least two examples of Morris Krok's "virus"-infected messages
on my hard drive, and amn't worried about them in the slightest. Indeed, I
think they have a certain quaint appeal. No doubt I'm naive, reckless or
feckless.

>ENGAGE PANIC MODE! Antivirus vendors discovered
>variant #31 of the ILoveYou virus! Nobody has actually
>seen it yet, but you better shut down your network as a
>precaution! Use your intercom system to tell employees
>about the deadly new clone! Keep pounding your "antivirus
>update" button until you finally get through! Tell your CIO
>to buy a dedicated T1 line from the antivirus firm as part
>of a super-expensive persistent updating service! Don't
>delay! Every nanosecond counts when you deal with
>viruses after the fact!!!

  -- Rob Rosenberger, http://kumite.com/myths/

PS: today's newspaper has an article about yet another email "virus", this
one in the guise of a job application. (Or similar. I dunno, I've already
trashed the newspaper.) So don't look at any putative job applications!

Think I'll buy a Rottweiler and chain him to my computer.
Peter Evans