Re: xpl v3 vs. v4

At 10:07 AM 1/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been a xy3 user for quite some time. Never seriously considered
>switching to xy4 until I heard it has better memory management--i.e., is
>capable of handling bigger files than xy3. This feature appeals because I had
>been using xy3 to massage large--approaching and, in some cases exceeding 1
>meg--text files. To this end, I have a set of fairly lengthy and
>much-sweated-over xpl programs, all done in xy3, of course.
>
>My question: Assuming I were to consider going to xy4 for the purpose of
>massaging these big files, what kind of modification will be required for my
>programs? I don't mean specifically, but, in general, am I in for a real Old
>Testament, temple-clutching headache or will the transition be not that bad?

Not bad at all. All the old xpl syntax is retained. I'm not sure there are
any Xy3 pgms that won't work at all under Xy4. I guess there must be, though.

The work you will likely do is more to optimizing the pgms for Xy4. You may
want to use the BX-Q2 pair instead of the BC-XC pair. But the latter still
runs fine.
I found most of my (quite minor) problems centered around commands,
particularly that DO command (where you run a DOS pgm from Xy), because I
needed to add "switches" like "/nv" to stop it from asking me pesky
questions, en passant.

Fear not.

Regards,

Harry Binswanger