Re: Numberlock on?

Leslie Bialler wrote:

> The _guess_ here is that your Windows system is defaulting either to numlock on, in which case reset
> it so that it starts with numlock off, or the reverse.

Whoever said to just turn Off the NumLock default in the system BIOS, that's not it. I've always
had
NumLock OFF in BIOS on my own system, and have turned it OFF on other systems, and this _alone_ did
not
stop the "N" from coming up automatically in XyDOS under W2K. Robert is not correct (now
that's a
rarity !) in saying that if you just hit the Numpad Right Arrow key it will dismiss the
"N", which isn't
a real NumLock indicator anyway; all I get are 6's. But as I told Paul, a single CTRL-NumLock
*will*
terminate the "N," at least with the systems I've worked on. Maybe there is a difference
here between
desktop & laptop keyboards -- I'm talking about desktop systems _only_ -- or some other YMMV
factor.

Now there must be a NumLock default setting buried somewhere in a W2K sub-basement. There are many
such
well-concealed items. This is far from the only case where I've gone through the W2K Help System,
even
consulted the MS Knowledgebase, and I still can't find the damn thing. I did have a copy of the
Resource Kit book for NT, but I think there are enough significant differences that I'll just have
toss it and get the one for W2K.

Jordan