Re: Archive bit on directories

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Martin wrote:
xcopy between directories sets the archive bit on the target directory
I haven't had a chance to test this under XP yet (baking like
mad), but it sounds a bit odd. According to the docs, XCOPY can
reset or not the _source_ file or directory, but I never heard of
its doing anything to the _target._

And harry answered:
At any rate, I'd recommend using XCOPY as I do: ignore attributes and go by file date.

xcopy c:\*.* /c /e /f /d /y E:\
I'd second that. If you copied a file to a flash drive or another
folder, it's archive attrib gets flipped, and if you then depend
on THAT to back it up, it won't be. Using the date is much safer.
I have a VBSCript that re-creates a batch file, getting the date
and embedding it in the batch file, so that the next time you
just click on the batch file, and it copies everything changed
since the last copy. A kludge perhaps, but clunktional.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx