other Dosbox questions (was "printing from Xywrite in Linux")

Hi Rafe,

I'd love to help you, but I must warn you that as I mentioned, I am not a programmer. I got myself
setup in Dosbox, figured out how to configure it, and the promptly put that stuff out of my mind. In
order to remember what I did I need to review things so bear with me. I might not remember right.

Raphael Tennenbaum wrote:
>the box is pretty small, and so is the font. the window
>doesn't resize; when I switch to fullscreen it only looks okay. is there a way
>to improve the windowed font and/or increase the box size?
>any way to improve the full-screen font?

As far as I could find out when I set up Dosbox, there is no way to increase the size of the
windowed box. In the end, I simple press Alt-Enter and work in full screen.

The font itself in both windowed and full screen is very satisfying to me, and in both cases
actually looks almost identical to the Dos font I would see in Windows. Thus, as far as I remember I
never did anything to change it and unfortunately can't tell you if such a thing can be done.

As for your other questions, I'm not sure I can help, especially since I'm not sure I understand the
questions. Sorry. However, here are the notes I wrote when I set up Dosbox. I hope they are of some
aid.

Bob Zimmerman's Dosbox setup notes with bracketed comments:
---------------------------
Create dosbox.conf file. Save in /etc

[Some settings tests in dosbox.conf]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true. False shows no difference.
fullresolution=800x600. Gives slightly smaller but more comfortable to read text then:
fullresolution=original, which fills screen better.

Add the following to autoexec section to make startup.int and keyboard.kbd work out of box:

mount a /media/flash
mount e /windows/data
E:
cd tm102
tmd.bat

[Comment: The first two lines mount, for Dosbox, both the linux directory where Xywrite resides as
well as my mounted compact flash. I have set up Xywrite to save to both when I issue a SA command.
The third line places me in the linux directory where the bat file is that runs xywrite so that it
can run the program.

[Comment: Stuff I had forgotten about! The fourth and fifth lines run an old dos program I have
called tm102. In Dos this program allowed me to add lines to the screen so that in Windowed mode it
would file the screen. I use it now to launch Xywrite. I think it allowed me to expand the size of
the windowed screen by a few lines, but I honestly don't remember now. Since things work, I leave
them alone.]

Keymapper: create "shift mod3" by clicking ADD then pressing left shift. Then switch all
the special keys to ctl-shft-F#. Save, which will create mapper.txt file in home directory. This
file can be edited as a txt file.

[Comment: this paragraph refers to the keyboard mapping I needed to do to eliminate conflicts
between Dosbox's keyboard and the keyboard in Xywrite.]

mount c /vfat directories
tmd.bat [Limited to -r32]

[Comment: I'm not sure what the first line is about, but the second indicates that after testing
tm102 could only expand the screen rows to 32 lines.]

Hope this helps. If you want to play with tm102, I can send it to you privately.

Bob
See my books and essays at:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3cxxp/zimbib.htm