Starry-eyed

Just discovered the most amazing thing -- someone here had told me
that they had gotten the StarOffice 3.1 demo from their ftp site
(ftp://ftp.stardiv.de) and so naturally I had to try it since I'd only
had the 2.0 demo to play with heretofore. I installed the OS/2 version
on my Warp Connect partition last night -- absolutely amazing! The menus
and dox are all in German, so it's hard to really do a lot, but since
the 2.0 demo had the menus in English (although not the Help), by having
both open at once, I could figure out a lot, and of course, the other
parts of Staroffice (spreadsheet, image viewer, equation writer, a chart
maker, and an truly awesome combo of a CorelDraw type draw/paint program
and a presentation tool, ala PowerPoiint) use the same layout and menus,
for the most part.
  What really blew me away, however, was first the discovery that when
you open a new document, it prompts you to choose between a "normal"
document, and HTML. But then a bit later I noticed what I thought was a
command line possibly, but when you put the cursor there, the little
help ballon says "URL", and when you type in a URL, StarWriter turns
into a web browser, complete with full color graphics and all -- and
apparantly allows you to edit webpages realtime.
  And they're going to give away the Linux version for free? I think we
have the makings of a new cult here, folks. And commercial versions in
every flavor you want, I guess, except maybe VMS. It's already out for
Warp, all the win whatevers, and most unix dialects coming soon after
Linux. I wonder if there is any full English versions out for OS/2 yet?

   ALL HAIL STAR DIVISION!

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here -- and you